Sunday, September 24, 2006

Nissar Hussain and Shobha Gurtu: Impressions

One of my most wonderful memories is Nissar Hussain Saheb's Chaya Nat. This Raga is a wonder in the Rampur Gharana style. Nissar Hussain is a master and it is very evident right from the start. He keeps you completely focussed and moves you along with his exquisite expressions of this raga. His style is very robust and has a no-nonsense approach. He will not talk about esoteric qualities and he will always say it is upto the listener to feel what they feel. His point is: it is the way his guru taught him and there can be no other discussions on the topic.

* * *

I still remember the studio masters of Thumris from Music Today which featured Girija Devi, Ajoy Chakrabarti, Shobha Gurtu and one more person whom I do not remember now. I was asked to listen to masters by my friend who produced them for Music Today and he wanted me to listen to all of them together. We listened to all the four artistes and the one which stood out for the sheer power and suppleness was Shobha Gurtu's Thumris. She was at home with this medium of expression and did not do anything to impress and let her rendering do the needful. It was an experience in itself.

My friend also agreed with my observation and wrote the sleeve notes accordingly. Also Shobha Gurtu participated in one of the programmes in Vividh Bharati on the extraordinary life of the Sufi saint Bulle Shah of Punjab. Her voice really suited the rendering of this great saint's works which I love deeply. At one place the saint says, "Ved quran pad pad thak gaye." It really struck a chord in my heart. The great saint reiterates divine love to be the start and end of all. The scholarly study of Vedas and Quran simply exhausts you and you will never go anywhere without divine love. He refers to divine love as "Ruhani Ishq."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home